Trip to Somerset,with Friends International (for Southampton, Winchester and Portsmouth Students), 4th-8th July 2016
Five days (four nights) at a cost of £160 including accommodation, transport, days out and meals, staying at Walkers Farm Cottages, Somerset
We have done this trip to the South-West of England annually in the summer for the past few years, and it has been a highlight for many students. It is a great opportunity to see something of the beautiful English countryside and to explore the south west of England. Do come and chat to us if you’d like more details of all the activities planned for this trip.
Where will we be staying?
We will be staying at Walkers Farm Cottages are based in the heart of the beautiful Somerset Levels and Moors. Until 1996 Walkers Farm was a working Dairy Farm but in 1996, the cows were sold and the Barns were converted into Holiday accommodation. They have been welcoming guests to this beautiful part of Somerset for over 10 years. There are so many places nearby to explore and enjoy.
There are lots of interesting things to see and do in Somerset and North Devon. Our week will include some of the following:
– View the beautiful landscapes of the famous Somerset levels and find out more about nature.
– Visit the historic town of Glastonbury – the Abbey was one of the most important in England and was the site of Edmund Ironside’s coronation as King of England in 1016.
– Visit Wells, England’s smallest city: Wells Cathedral is probably the finest national example of early English architecture, mainly built between the 12th and 14th centuries.
– Travel on a steam train and see the coast at Minehead.
– Shop ‘til you drop in Clarks Village, Street, the UK’s first purpose built factory outlet centre, with more than 90 world class brand names at discount prices.
– The area is also full of legends of King Arthur and the knights of the round table and is great for walking.
We will cook our meals together and in the evenings you can relax in the hot tub or be more energetic with a game of badminton, pool or skittles in the games barn. As this trip is organised by Christians there will be a few opportunities to join in short bible studies or discussions about life and faith if you are interested. However, these are entirely voluntary and there will always be other activities you can be doing in and around the cottages instead.
How do I book?
To book a place complete the Application Form and return with your payment to Susan Caddy or Clare Brooks
Any questions: Phone Susan on 07770 072526 or email her firstname.lastname@example.org
or Clare on 07827 276202 or email her email@example.com
Somerset 2016 Application Form
Somerset Information Leaflet 2016
Departure: Monday 4th July 2015 between 9 and 10am from Portsmouth and Southampton pick up points (to be confirmed nearer the time)
Return: We will be back in Southampton and Portsmouth on Friday evening 8th
What do I need to bring?
Please note that you will need to bring the following with you (and please pack in one bag, as luggage space is limited. No hard suitcases please!):
· Personal wash things
· Clothes for sun or rain
· Walking shoes
· Sun cream
· Swimming clothes and a towel if you would like to swim in the sea or use the Hot Tub at the cottages
· Money for souvenirs, extra snacks and any shopping you want to do.
Please come prepared to help everybody else have a good trip:-
· Please respect the rules of the cottages and farm, be kind to the animals and do not do anything that would damage the countryside.
· Please accept the sleeping accommodation allocated to you (which will be in separate male and female bedrooms) and be sensitive to the needs of others to rest.
· Please assist in the preparation of meals and clearing up after them.
· Please always get back to agreed meeting points on time.
· Please let the leaders know immediately if you have any concerns or worries.