Do you want to get to know more about Christianity and the Bible? Would you like to know what Christians believe? Or are you a Christian who wants to grow in your understanding of the Bible? Bible studies and discussion groups run throughout the term, for both groups and individuals.
iExplore gives international students and visiting academics an opportunity to explore the basics of Christianity and runs each term on Wednesday evenings close to the main university campus, at Highfield Church Centre, Highfield Lane, Southampton, SO17 1RL, 7.30pm to 9.30pm. The evening starts with a free meal, followed by a short talk about the bible or film showing part of the bible and the chance for questions and discussion in small groups.
The course starts again on Wednesday 26 April 2017. The course is open to international students of any faith or none, and students are welcome to join at any time, even if they missed the first few sessions – no booking is required. For more information about the course, see the website: www.iexplored.info
The Philip Project is a discipleship programme for Christian international students or scholars who want to study the Bible in more depth, and would like to develop their experience of serving and leadership. It runs once a month, on a Saturday, at Highfield Church Centre, Highfield Lane, Southampton, SO17 1RL. This academic year’s course is fully subscribed, but next year’s course will start on Saturday 21 October 2017. More details and application forms are available on the Philip Project website.
Ladies Bible Study
A Bible study for international ladies of any religion runs during school term time on a Thursday afternoon, near the University. Afternoon tea and cakes are provided. The group meets in a local home from 1.15-3pm in term time, and is mostly made up of ladies who are the wives of masters and postgraduate students, but female students are also welcome to join. Please email us: firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like more details, or an invite to come along.
Bible Discussion Groups for International Students in Southampton
There are a number of other Bible discussion groups running in Southampton for international students:
- International Café – SUSU Café every Monday in term time 8pm-10pm, with an optional Bible discussion for half an hour during the café – usually starting about 9:15pm.
- iExplore: Wednesdays, Highfield Church Centre, Highfield Lane, SO17 1RL, starting with a free meal at 7.15pm
- International Ladies Bible Study, Meets in a local home Thursdays from 1.15-3pm in term time
- iConnect – Christ Church, Sunday evenings, Meal at 6.30pm followed by Bible discussion 7.15-8.45pm, at Bevois Community Building in Ancasta Road SO14 6SB – opposite Aldi on U6 route
- Christianity Explored with Portswood Church, Sunday evenings or Thursday mornings in Portswood area
- Reasonable Faith, Talk and discussion on different aspects of faith, 4.30-6pm, Sunday afternoons, at Highfield Church Centre
- Alpha with Highfield Church, Thursday evenings in Highfield area, starting October 2015
- Chinese Christian Fellowship, Fridays 7:30pm, Highfield Campus Education Building, Bible discussion groups in Cantonese and English.
- Mandarin Christian Fellowship, Fridays 8pm, Highfield Campus Education Building, bible discussion groups in Mandarin
- Navigators, Bible study groups for Christians, Thursdays at 6:30pm, 53 Harefield Road, with food. Need good level of English.
- Ignite group, Mondays, 8pm for 8:30 discussion at the Stile Pub on campus. Discuss issues related to the meaning of life, etc.
Students of any nationality or faith background are always welcome to visit a church, either for a Sunday service, or just to look round. Most churches display the service times on a noticeboard outside. Below you will find links for a few of the churches close to Southampton University and Solent University, and for some of the student religious groups. The Christian Union website has a comprehensive list of local churches, as well as a map.
- Above Bar Church
- Calvary Chapel Southampton
- Central Baptist Church
- Christ Church Southampton
- City Life Church
- Highfield Church
- King’s Church
- Kings Community Church
- Life Church Southampton
- Lighthouse International Church
- Netley Christian Fellowship
- New Community Church
- Portswood Church
- Southampton Vineyard Church
- Swaythling Baptist Church
- Victory Gospel Church
International Churches & Fellowships
- Lighthouse International Christian Church, in English & Indian languages, the Lighthouse, St Mary’s Street (023 8043 5455) 4pm Sundays
- Southampton Korean Church, in English & Korean, meets at 2pm on Sundays at Above Bar Church
- Southampton Chinese Christian Church, in English, Cantonese & Mandarin, meets at Portwood Church on Sunday 2 pm (02380 768194)
- Greek Orthodox Church, Bernard Street (023 8033 3076)
Student Religous Groups at Southampton University
- African Caribbean Christian Fellowship (ACCF)
- Catholic Society (Cathsoc)
- Chinese Christian Fellowship (CCF)
- Christian Union (SUCU)
- Hindu Society
- Islamic Society
- Jewish Society (J-SOC)
- SCM (Student Christian Movement)
- University Chaplaincy
Student Religous Groups at Solent University
Student Religous Groups at University of Winchester
- WUCU – Christian Union
- WUCU run a weekly Global cafe for international students on a Friday evening on campus – see their facebook page for details
Below you will links for a few of the churches close to the University of Winchester, and for the Chaplaincy at Winchester University.
• Christ Church, Christchurch Road, SO23 9SR (01962-854454)
• North Winchester Community Church , SO22 6HG
• Hope Church Winchester, (formerly Winchester Family Church) Middle Brook Street , SO23 8DQ ( 01962-840800)
• Winchester Baptist Church , Swan Lane, SO23 7AA ( 01962 868770)
• City Church, 30-31 Jewry Street, Winchester, SO23 8RY ( 01962 623 167)
• Harvest Church (07867876296)
• United Church, Jewry Street, Winchester, SO23 8RZ (01962 849559)
• Winchester Vineyard , Vineyard Centre, Bar End Road, SO23 9NP (01962 863217)
• Winchester Catherdral
• University of Winchester Chaplaincy
Other Religions – Southampton
- Buddhist – Thekchen Buddhist Centre , 76 Whitworth Crescent (023 8055 7077)
- Hindu – Hindu Religious Society, Radcliffe Road, Northam (023 8043 7578)
- Islam – Southampton Mosque, Northumberland Road (023 8063 5941)
- Jewish – Southampton Synagogue , Mordaunt Road (023 8022 0129)
- Sikh – there are four Sikh temples in Southampton, in the Bevois Valley and St Mary’s area