Do you want to get to know more about Christianity and the Bible? Would you like to know what Christians believe? Or are you a Christian who wants to grow in your understanding of the Bible? Bible studies and discussion groups run throughout the term, for both groups and individuals.
iExplore gives international students and visiting academics an opportunity to explore the basics of Christianity and runs each term on Wednesday evenings close to the main university campus, at Highfield Church Centre, Highfield Lane, Southampton, SO17 1RL, 7.30pm to 9.30pm. The evening starts with a free meal, followed by discussion in small groups about part of the bible and the chance for questions.
There will be three iExplore sessions in the summer: 17th, 31st July and 14th August. The course is open to international students /scholars of any faith or none, and students are welcome to join at any time, even if they missed the first few sessions – no booking is required. For more information about the course, see the website: www.iexplored.info
The Philip Project is a discipleship programme for Christian international students or scholars who want to study the Bible in more depth, and would like to develop their experience of serving and leadership. It runs once a month, on a Saturday, at Highfield Church Centre, Highfield Lane, Southampton, SO17 1RL. This academic year’s course will start on Saturday 27 October 2018. More details are available on the Philip Project website. If you are interested in joining the course for this academic year (Oct 2018 to June 2019) please contact us.
Ladies Bible Study
A Bible study for international ladies of any religion runs during school term time on a Thursday afternoon, near the University. Afternoon tea and cakes are provided. The group meets in a local home from 1.15-3pm in term time, and is mostly made up of ladies who are the wives of masters and postgraduate students, but female students are also welcome to join. Please email us if you would like more details, or an invite to come along.
Bible Discussion Groups for International Students in Southampton
There are a number of other Bible discussion groups running in Southampton for international students:
- International Café – (for Southampton University students) meets at SUSU Café every Monday in term time 8pm-10pm, with an optional Bible discussion
- iExplore: Wednesdays, Highfield Church Centre, Highfield Lane, SO17 1RL, starting with a free meal at 7.30pm
- International Ladies Bible Study, Meets in a local home Thursdays from 1.15-3pm in term time
- iConnect – Christ Church, Sunday afternoon, .1.15pm to 3.30pm Meal followed by Bible discussion at Burgess Road Library, SO16 3HF
- Alpha with Highfield Church, Tuesday evenings in Highfield area, starting October 2018
- Chinese Christian Fellowship, Fridays 7:30pm, Highfield Campus Education Building, Bible discussion groups in Cantonese and English.
- Mandarin Christian Fellowship, Fridays 8pm, Highfield Campus Education Building, Bible discussion groups in Mandarin
- Navigators, Bible study groups for Christians, Thursdays at 6:30pm, 53 Harefield Road, with food. Every other Thursday (once every two weeks).
Students of any nationality or faith background are always welcome to visit a church, either for a Sunday service, or just to look round. Most churches display the service times on a noticeboard outside. Below you will find links for a few of the churches close to Southampton University and Solent University, and for some of the student religious groups. The Southampton University Christian Union website has a comprehensive list of local churches, as well as a map.
- Above Bar Church
- Calvary Chapel Southampton
- Central Baptist Church
- Christ Church Southampton
- City Life Church
- Highfield Church
- King’s Church
- Kings Community Church
- Life Church Southampton
- Lighthouse International Church
- Netley Christian Fellowship
- New Community Church
- Portswood Church
- Southampton Vineyard Church
- Swaythling Baptist Church
- Victory Gospel Church
International Churches & Fellowships
- Lighthouse International Christian Church, in English, Indian and Iranian languages, the Lighthouse, St Mary’s Street (023 8043 5455) 4pm Sundays
- Southampton Korean Church, in English & Korean, meets at 2pm on Sundays at Above Bar Church
- Southampton Chinese Christian Church, in English, Cantonese & Mandarin, meets at Portwood Church on Sunday 2 pm (02380 768194)
- Greek Orthodox Church, Bernard Street (023 8033 3076)
Student Groups at Southampton University
- African Caribbean Christian Fellowship (ACCF)
- Catholic Society (Cathsoc)
- Chinese Christian Fellowship (CCF)
- Christian Union (SUCU)
Student Groups at Solent University
Student Groups at University of Winchester
- WUCU – Christian Union
- WUCU run a weekly “Unite” evening every Thursday on campus and International students are welcome to join others for fun relaxed evening making new friends – see their facebook page for details
International students in Winchester are invited to come along to “Alpha” at Christchurch, Christchurch Road, Winchester, SO23 9SR, please check the church website for details of the next course. Alpha is a series of interactive sessions that explore the basics of the Christian faith. It includes a meal, a short film and discussion where you can share your thoughts.
Below you will links for a few of the churches close to the University of Winchester.
• Christ Church, Christchurch Road, SO23 9SR (01962-854454)
• North Winchester Community Church , SO22 6HG
• Hope Church Winchester, (formerly Winchester Family Church) Middle Brook Street , SO23 8DQ ( 01962-840800)
• Winchester Baptist Church , Swan Lane, SO23 7AA ( 01962 868770)
• City Church, 30-31 Jewry Street, Winchester, SO23 8RY ( 01962 623 167)
• Harvest Church (07867876296)
• United Church, Jewry Street, Winchester, SO23 8RZ (01962 849559)
• Winchester Vineyard , Vineyard Centre, Bar End Road, SO23 9NP (01962 863217)
• Winchester Cathedral