International Women’s Club
The International Women’s Club , IWC, is linked to the University of Southampton, and is run by volunteers connected to the University. IWC meets on Wednesdays in term time, from 10am to 12 noon, at 58 Chamberlain Road, SO17 1PS. For more details, please email them.
These meetings are friendly, relaxed and informative, with a programme of talks and demonstrations. Children are welcome but are the responsibility of the mothers at all meetings. The group offers:
• a social meeting place for women of all nationalities
• help with English conversation
• a friendly atmosphere and the chance to meet new people
• opportunities to learn about other countries
• information about schools, transport, health and other topics
In the Autumn and Spring terms, there is also a group for English Conversation on Monday mornings, from 10.30 to 12.00, at 58 Chamberlain Road, SO17 1PS. In the summer term there are Monday coffee mornings at members’ houses.
In addition, the club organises social outings and a Christmas party, when husbands, children and friends are welcome to come and join too. IWC is mostly made up of ladies who are the wives of postgraduate students or staff, but female students are also welcome to join.
International Women’s Club Summer 2019 Programme
Activities and programme for Summer 2019 at 58 Chamberlain Road, 10am to 12 noon on the following Wednesday mornings:
- 1 May – How to live a happy life – (considering mental & physical health & well-being)
- 8 May – Holiday Memories (members bring slides of their Easter holidays and activities)
- 15 May – Gardening Morning at 58 Chamberlain Road OR Attendance at Mayor Making Ceremony at the O2 Guildhall
- 22 May – Places in the UK you recommend to visit
- 29 May – Half term: Coffee morning and walk to the Valley Garden (in case of bad weather: games at 58 Chamberlain Road)
- 5 June – Annual General Meeting – including chocolate-dipped fruit tasting
- 12 June – Significant Annual Events/Celebrations in member’s countries
- Sunday 16 June – Family Tea Party in the Pavilion, The Portswood Residents’ Gardens, SO17 1QT, 3:00 -5:30 pm
- 19 June – Strawberry-picking at Pickwell Farm, Burlesdon, Address: Grange Rd, Netley, Southampton SO31 8GD
- 3 July – Coffee Morning at the Club (followed by Committee Meeting)
- 7 August – Coffee Morning at the Club
Pre-school children are welcome at these meetings – toys are available to play with. Please note: mothers are responsible for their children at all times.
International Women’s Club English Conversation Group – Programme
On Monday mornings in the summer term we meet at member’s homes for coffee mornings. Details (dates and venues) can be obtained by attending one of the Wednesday meetings.