International Women’s Club
The International Women’s Club , IWC, is linked to the University of Southampton, and is run by volunteers connected to the University.
IWC meets on Wednesdays in term time, from 10am to 12 noon, at 58 Chamberlain Road, SO17 1PS. For more details, please email them.
These meetings are friendly, relaxed and informative, with a programme of talks and demonstrations. Children are welcome but are the responsibility of the mothers at all meetings. The group offers:
• a social meeting place for women of all nationalities
• help with English conversation
• a friendly atmosphere and the chance to meet new people
• opportunities to learn about other countries
• information about schools, transport, health and other topics
In the Autumn and Spring terms, there is also a group for English Conversation on Monday mornings, from 10.20 to 12.00, at 58 Chamberlain Road, SO17 1PS. In the summer term there are Monday coffee mornings at members’ houses.
In addition, the club organises social outings and a Christmas party, when husbands, children and friends are welcome to come and join too. IWC is mostly made up of ladies who are the wives of postgraduate students or staff, but female students are also welcome to join.
International Women’s Club Spring 2020 Programme
Activities and programme at 58 Chamberlain Road, 10am to 12 noon on the following Wednesday mornings:
- 8 January – Chat about Christmas activities and holidays.
- 15 January – Plants found in UK gardens
- 22 January – The Mayflower & the New World
- 29 January – IWC’s got Talent!
- 5 February – Outing to God’s House Tower & Mayflower Memorial
- 12 February – Friendship, Love & Marriage
- 19 February – Half term: Coffee Morning and Games
- 26 February – Spring craft activity
- 4 March – International Women’s Day & Members Careers
- 11 March – Presentation on Spain & South America
- 18 March – Easter & Spring Customs
Pre-school children are welcome at these meetings – toys are available to play with. Please note: mothers are responsible for their children at all times.
International Women’s Club English Conversation Group – Programme
On Monday mornings we meet for an informal English conversation group, from 10:20am – 12:00 noon at 58 Chamberlain Road, SO17 1PS.
- 20/01/20 The History of the English Language
- 27/01/20 Global Warming – How should we respond?
- 03/02/20 Cosmetic Surgery
- 10/02/20 Employment: Do we live to work or work to live?
- 17/02/20 NO MEETING (School Half term)
- 24/02/20 Charity shops – an eyesore or a valuable contribution to UK society?
- 02/03/29 Homelessness
- 09/03/20 Marriage Traditions and its benefits and challenges
- 16/02/20 Talking about your own country. Please bring something typical to show (a photo is fine)
Pre-school children are welcome at these meetings – toys are available to play with.
Please note: mothers are responsible for their children at all times.